December 2019 Yang Fire Rat Feng Shui & BaZi Update
“We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.” – Anais Nin
There is no secret sauce for happiness and contentment. In fact, most individuals who move through life joyously have not necessarily always been blessed with lives of abundance and prosperity. Such people have, however, been blessed with the ability to take the circumstances they’ve been handed and make them into something great. As David Simon once said, “Reality is ultimately a selective act of perception and interpretation. A shift in our perception and interpretation enables us to break old habits and awaken new possibilities for balance, healing, and transformation.”
It’s true that our individualized realities are colored by perceptions of what we think to be true or even real. Shifting our lens means looking at our experiences to see if what we perceive as misfortune is actually something else. A simple shift in attitude can help us unearth the hidden potential for personal fulfillment in everything that happens to us, including every setback and disappointment.
We should know by now that the world is often an unpredictable and chaotic place. If that rings true, wouldn’t it be easier to focus on the positive rather than focusing on the negative? While that is often a lot easier said than done, life can be no more or no less than what we make of it. I’ve worked with clients who are, by technical definition, in good luck, yet suffer from anxiety of perceived self-limitations and self-sabotage. While others who may, on paper, be categorized to be in a more challenging luck cycle, can still find the courage to focus on the upside on life.
Are you willing to work through the fear, the cloud that is holding you back from fully embracing the bright light? Do you have the gusto for it? Honestly, a tiny change in perspective is all it takes to change your entire world by the willingness to adopt an optimistic and more hopeful mindset.
Meaning of the Elements
December is the Rat 子 month (Dec. 7 – Jan. 6) and it symbolizes the peak of the Winter season. Here we are just two months shy from saying goodbye to the Pig 亥. The influence of the Rat 子 Year is strengthening with each passing day.
The Rat 子, the all almighty Water Element, is the low point of matter. It is the fifth stage of the Five Elements and the most Yin character. It’s cold, black, salty, and unorganized. Though at times Water effect can stir up anxiety and self-doubt, even these emotions are necessary to shift our perspective. What’s more, humans are mostly water-based, so our soul already resonates with Water. Our tears, for instance, are salt water and an excellent conveyor of spiritual and personal intentions.
As we move deep into the realm of Water, keep in mind the following adjectives, and perhaps you’ll come up with your own personal mantra as it relates to the month and the coming year:
Elevation and progress
This month, the Heavenly Stem is Yang Fire 丙, like the sun. Because this Yang Fire 丙 sits on top of powerful Water, the energy of the Fire is not able to burn as bright. The appearance of Fire is fake and mostly superficial because it doesn’t stand on any support. Therefore, if the stock market needs the Fire Element to boost confidence in the economy, you can logically deduce that we could be heading towards a gloomier outlook.
We can also interpret that to mean that while things seem to be happy and good on the surface, actually, hidden deep in the depths is a much different story. There’s a quiet but powerful undercurrent at play. What you see (or feel) is not what it seems to be. The bluntest example I can give is that of a depressed person. Think of Robin Williams. On the surface, he epitomized the funny, joyful guy, who exuded humor and fun everywhere he went and to those he interacted with.But inside, there was a dark demon that haunted and taunted him, ultimately leading to his suicide.
Remember, this month’s theme is all about shifting our perspective because nothing appears to be what it seems. The key is to have the patience and wisdom to sift through the layers. It will require us to dig deeper than ever before: to unravel the root and the truth of our experiences, feelings, and circumstances. As such, it’s best to avoid overreacting, jumping to conclusions, or making rash and spontaneous decisions, particularly around important life-changing events.
If your Day Master is also Yang Fire 丙, you generally have a sunny disposition in life. You’re a positive, energetic, and optimistic person who wants to do and give more than one should. When balanced, you embody the best qualities of a warm, generous, kind-hearted person. You open yourself up to the world unconditionally and are the connector to all things. You see the best in everyone and everything. Your purpose in life is to save the world, to be the bright light to others, and to be the go-to person for those in need. Just like the sun in our solar system, you are truly magnanimous.
But with all things come the other side. When maladapted, you wear your emotions on your sleeve like a cloudy day. People notice the shift in your mood. When the sun is depleted, your light burns out and you are easily agitated, showing signs of mania, resentment, and lack of motivation. The lesson here is: feed and fuel the sun (like with self-care) or the sun’s qi will burn out.
Famous Yang Fire 丙 ladies: Sandra Bullock, Mariah Carey, Melania Trump, Amal Clooney, Sharon Stone, Jennifer Connelly, Misty Copeland, Greta Thunberg.
Famous Yang Fire 丙 gents: Albert Einstein, Leonardo DiCaprio, Vladimir Putin, Steve Jobs, Kevin Bacon, Justin Bieber, Pope John Paul II, Russell Crowe.
December is your Nobleman if:
- The Heavenly Stem of your Day or Year Pillar is Yin Earth 己 or Yin Wood 乙;
- You were born in years ending 5 or 9 (such as 1975 or 1989)
This is significant because if December is your Nobleman, that means 2020 is your Nobleman, too! Make sure of this precious star and ask yourself: what do you need in life? I’m not talking about unrealistic dreams like winning the lottery; I’m referring to the more tangible needs that will help you move forward in life. Nobleman signals the time for you to recalibrate and return to balance.
Read more about Nobleman HERE.
December is your Peach Blossom if:
The Earthly Branch of your Day or Year Pillar is Pig 亥, Rabbit 卯, and Goat 未.
Same as above: 2020 is your Peach Blossom, so use this auspicious time to deepen and strengthen positive relationships. Most importantly, don’t be afraid to cut ties if the relationship is depleting and toxic. Be bold. Honor your worth by surrounding yourself with people who bring the BEST out of you!
Read more about Peach Blossom HERE.
December is your Clash if:
You were born in the Year of the Horse 午 (1930, 1942, 1954, 1966, 1978, 1990, 2002, 2014) or you have a Horse 午 animal sign anywhere in your Four Pillars, like the example below:
Change is coming! Be a neutral witness to your mood and experiences this month so you’re equipped with the awareness of how strong—or jolting—this upcoming clash is going to be. Start listing out the things you need to change so you can get the ball rolling!
Read more about Clash HERE.
December is your Penalty if:
You have a Rabbit 卯 sign anywhere in your Four Pillars. However, because this penalty is more serious, the one with the most direct impact is the Rabbit 卯 on your Day Pillar, like below.
If this applies to you, be very careful navigating your relationships with spouse, family, colleagues, and friends, especially if the Rat is your Peach Blossom. This penalty carries harsh implications that damage relationships, including betrayal, disloyalty, broken promises, and dishonesty.
Want to know your personal BaZi update? Schedule yours today HERE.
Flying Star Feng Shui 玄空風水
This month 1 resides in the Center palace. Take care of the Feng Shui of your home:
- Southeast Sector (7,9) – The Metal Element burns, causing fire-related accidents and disasters and heart-related problems such as heart murmur and palpitations, abnormal blood pressure, vision imbalances, and lack of joy. This sector can also affect the youngest daughter. It’s best not to activate Month Star 9 here as it will only make things worse.
- Southwest Sector (5,7) – Beware of scandal and miscommunication especially if the SW sector is your main door or home office. Keep the peace by not rocking the boat and stirring up controversies and quarrels. Place 3 bamboos here.
- Northwest Sector (9,2) – The Sickness star is strong. Therefore, place 6 coins, a wu luo, or 6 metal rod wind chime to subdue Month Star 2. The 9,2 combination is very inauspicious because 9 (Fire) strengthens 2 (Earth). The prosperous Annual Star 9 is useless this month.
- Northeast Sector (2,4) – 4 is a Wood Element and it will attack 2, an Earth Element. This destructive relationship will stimulate the Sickness Star 2, causing discomfort in the stomach. Place a Fire Element cure to subdue this relationship or it can cause Earth-related health issues damaging the digestive system including the pancreas, blood sugar, immune system, and muscles.
- East Sector (6,8) – Month Star 8 is no use this month because the Earth Element will only strengthen Annual Star 6, a Metal Element, which is related to legal trouble. In my professional experience, I have seen many clients encounter legal issues because of the 6-8 combination. So, dot your i’s and cross your t’s and do your best to obey the law (including not speeding!). Therefore, do not activate Month Star 8.
- West Sector (1,3) – Prosperous Annual Star 1 is also useless because it will feed Month Star 3 (Water strengthens Wood), arousing the Conflict Star. This Month Star 3 (Robbery Star) is very strong this month. Be mindful of your precious belongings. Make sure you double check all doors are locked and valuables are returned to their safekeeping. Also, take care not to share intellectual assets and/or secrets with high monetary value to strangers. Place a Fire Element cure here.
- North Sector (4,6) – The 4-6 are in fighting combination (Metal 6 attacks Wood 4), causing turbulence in the relationship area. Place 3 bamboos or a salt water cure here to simmer down this energy, especially if this is your bedroom. Watch out as this combination can also cause a rift between father and daughter, or a man and a woman.
- South Sector (3,5) – No good. Misfortune Star 5 is here in the South and this combination is also in a destructive pattern. Place 6 metal rod wind chime to minimize this influence.
Prosperity is lacking this month. The only positive sector is located in the Center palace (8,1), which is not very helpful.
Need a Feng Shui evaluation? Schedule yours today HERE.
Our 7th annual Chinese New Year Talk is coming up, and it’s all about the 2020 Year of the Rat! Sign up to join us in person or purchase a copy of the presentation recording. Register HERE.
5-Day Feng Shui Class will take place in Los Angeles, Mar. 24-28, 2020. Register HERE.
5-Day BaZi Class will take place in Toronto, Apr. 20-24, 2020. Register HERE.
2-Day I Ching Class will take place in Toronto, Apr. 27-28, 2020. Register HERE.