October 2019 Yang Wood Dog Feng Shui & BaZi Update
“I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.” –
L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
October 8 marks the start of the Dog 戌 month. The Dog 戌 represents the “beat” between the seasons, and it belongs to the season of autumn. Autumn is an event missed by many; the season reveals itself slowly, hovering on the edges of our consciousness until its crisp breezes are strong enough to pierce our summer clothing, and we begin to notice the transformations taking place all around us. As F. Scott Fitzgerald says, “Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall.”
Autumn is my favorite season, not only because it’s the season of my birth, but I love the subtlety of its beauty as the tone and tempo of our lives begin to slow. Dormancy, not death, is the hallmark of fall. Your priorities and to-do lists will likely change. Remember to rejoice in the brilliance of autumn, noticing that every finale serves as an overture for a new beginning.
Meaning of the Month
This month (Oct. 8 – Nov. 8) is Yang Wood Dog (Earth).
In the Chinese Five Elements, Wood over Earth is paired in a destructive relationship. Because Earth represents the foundation we stand on, this month’s energy is a little precarious. Couple that with the energy of the Water year, and Earth is muddy, delicate, and unsteady. This quality of nature can manifest in the way we feel in the world.
Do you feel anxious? Ungrounded?
Is your home life a bit chaotic, messy, and unruly?
Are you attuned to your intuitive self, your instincts?
Can you trust in the process that is now?
How is your gut health?
These “earthly” reflections gift us the opportunity to check in and turn inward, to probe deeper and candidly ask yourself: how am I doing so far?
If your Day Master is Yang Wood, you are compared to a tree. You are principled, headstrong, and reliable, with a smidge of stubbornness! If you were born in the summer season (May, June, July), then autumn and winter will feel nourishing and balancing. Your mind will refocus, clarity will ensue, and your energetic body will feel lighter and more uplifted. On the other hand, if you were born in the winter season (November, December, January), then these coming months will have the opposite effect. You’ll feel heavier, more lethargic, frustrated, or even depressed.
In either scenario, it’s best to use this cycle to devote to some quiet self-reflection. Dedicating this season to knowledge and studying is prudent and the most appropriate way to optimize the energy of the season.
Famous Yang Wood ladies: Britney Spears, Sophia Loren, Whitney Houston, Kristen Stewart, Meghan Markel, Priscilla Chan, Jessica Simpson, Kate Winslet, Maya Angelou, etc.
Famous Yang Wood gents: John Nash, Justin Trudeau, Bruce Lee, Elon Musk, Harvey Weinstein, Keanu Reeves, Ralph Lauren, Carl Sagan, Nikola Tesla, James Cameron, etc.
Because the Earth energy is notably weaker now, impassioned debates on environmental concerns are obviously more prevalent these days, particularly as we move closer to the Dog month. The loose ground can give way to unsteady earth, such as earthquakes, landslides, avalanches, and sinkholes. Deforestation of trees (Wood) is another critical concern. Without trees, the soil (Earth) is free to wash or blow away, which can lead to vegetation growth problems. Additionally, planting cash crops like coffee, soy, and palm trees can cause further soil erosion because their roots cannot hold onto the soil. According to the World Wildlife Fund (WWF), the earth loses 18.7 million acres of forests per year, which is equal to 27 soccer fields every minute.
As for our economic health, “Black October” is infamous for stock market crashes. Now that we are neck-deep into the Water cycle, it won’t be a surprise to see a huge decline as we head towards a bear market.
In BaZi, the Dog can never symbolize auspicious stars such as Peach Blossom or Nobleman. In fact, the Dog is often referred to as the “spirit element” because the energy feels ominous and mystical. As such, it’s best to use October to establish a stronger spiritual practice whether that is meditating, praying, journaling, or even attending church service or mass, therapy sessions, getting more body work done, and exercising. These suggestions are appropriate for harnessing the energy of the Dog to help strengthen the mind and body. Remember the probing questions above. If you answered yes to any of them (or the like), you need to address them this month so that you can journey through the season with more ease.
October is your Clash if:
- You have a Dragon sign anywhere in your Four Pillars.
Read more about Clash HERE.
Flying Star Feng Shui
This month 3 resides in the Center palace. Take care of the Feng Shui of your home.
- Southwest Sector (5,9) – Do not jump the gun and think 9 is useful this month. Month Star 9 will pair up with Annual Star 5 and provoke temporary mishaps. As such, do not activate 9 this month.
- West Sector (1,5) – Place 6 metal rod wind chimes in this sector to minimize the effects of Month Star 5.
- Northeast Sector (2,6) – Month Star 6 will help curtail Annual Star 2 (Sickness), but best to put 3 bamboos here as well.
- East Sector (6,1) – Month Star 1 will also help lessen the effects of Annual Star 6, but best not to activate Month Star 1 so as not to disturb the visiting star.
- Southeast Sector (7,2) – place 6 metal coins to suppress the Sickness star; otherwise, Month Star 2, an Earth Element, can magnetize Annual Star 7, a Metal Element, and irritate the body’s breathing systems such as the skin, teeth, bones, nose, and upper respiratory tract.
- South Sector (3,7) – place 3 bamboos to neutralize relationship conflicts. If this is your front door, the cure will also ensure there is no unexpected money outflow or robbery (not just related to wealth but also related to wasted time, resources, or valuables).
The following sectors might do okay for this month, but it’s best to err on the side of caution before activating anything. The best approach is to also examine these areas in tandem with the base chart of your house.
- Center Palace (8,3) – Month Star 3 (Wood) will stimulate Annual Star 8 (Earth), which is a strong prosperous star today.
- Northwest Sector (9,4) – Month Star 4 (Wood) will support Annual Star 9 (Fire), which is another positive star today.
- North Sector (4,8) – Month Star 8 (Earth) could be useful this month because Annual Star 4 (Wood), like the Center Palace, can activate a prosperous energy.
We’re rolling out our 2020 class roster, workshops, and special events next month. Stay tuned for updates!
Copyright © 2019 | Feng Shui by Jen LLC | All Rights Reserved | Materials may not be copied, translated, or distributed without prior written consent.